Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Updates

Everyone is always asking me, “Are you still writing?” To that, I like to say, “Still writing? I haven’t stopped.” :) Read on, and you’ll see what I mean.

Growing up, I had a habit I want to tell you about. During a boring class, such as math, instead of doing the work assigned to me, I would make up stories in my head and write them on my braille writer. Needless to say, I had lots of homework to do in order to keep up. Today, when my students, AKA my daughters are busy doing math, I open the Mac book and write. Something about math, any school subject, actually, brings out the writer in me, which brings me to my first update.

For the past three years I have been working on a historical fiction novel. It takes place both in the present and the past. A wounded soldier returns to her old hometown to keep a promise she made to her best friend. While there, she finds a book about her ancestors, who fought at the battle of Shiloh in the American Civil War. The book is in the editing stages, and I will be putting together a cover in a few weeks. I’m thinking of having a contest on Facebook, so you all can help me choose which cover you like best, so stay tuned for that. As for a publication date, I don’t have one nailed down yet, but I’m thinking September. The book is called, “His Yankee Wife”, and I’ll be talking more about it as publication day draws nearer. Keep watching my FB page for updates.

Now, what’s this talk about nonfiction? Well, I’m gonna tell ya. :) My good friend, Anita Adkins, author of "A Brother's Love" has written a book to teach Unified English Braille, the current standard for braille in the US called, “Ducking into UEB”. It is for children in grades 4-12 and older readers. She asked me several months ago if I could provide any fictional material for children. I had a story laying around, so I gave it to her. She incorporated it, and suddenly, we are collaborating. In order to establish an online platform, we started a blog back in January 2017. We take turns writing articles for it, and we have a lot of fun over there, so we’d love for you to come over and check us out. The blog is found at adkinsandwells.blogspot.com. We’re also on Facebook.

And, while I’m on the subject of the writing team of Adkins and Wells, I want to announce that we will be presenting at the WV chapter of the National Federation of the Blind conference in Charleston, WV on Saturday, Sept. 9. More details about that to follow, but we will be speaking about our books, about writing, blogging and what life is like as authors and educators who are blind. We will also be selling some books.

As if those projects aren’t enough, I am writing the story of a man who broke his neck while diving several years ago. He is a quadriplegic, and not only does he go to the movies, the mall and to the pool with his family, he paints with a brush held between his teeth. A truly inspiring individual, I can’t wait to share this book with you and desire your prayers while I am writing it.


So, that about wraps it up as far as updates go. Busy? Yes, but I’m loving it. Always enjoy hearing from my readers, so feel free to get in touch. Fill out the contact form on this blog, or send an email to oldtimechristian@gmail.com. You can also come over and “like” my Facebook page facebook.com/sjwellsauthor.

Praying you are spending more time smiling this summer than ever before in your life. Take care and catch ya next Tuesday. Just now, I got some runnin' to do and friends to visit. :)

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment