Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Embracing Strange

Recently, I found myself wide awake in the middle of the night. I needed to do some research for a current work in progress, so I went to Google. After some clicking here and there, I found myself on Youtube watching a documentary on the English language. I found it fascinating, but I couldn’t help but think that it did seem a little strange to be watching something like that at 4:00 in the morning. I almost jumped on Facebook and updated my status to “I am a nerd. That is all.” LOL

A few days ago I went to a concert. The group was the Foghorn String Band. Two guys and two gals from the Pacific Northwest who can “get down” when it comes to those strings. In my excitement, I kept spouting off these facts I had read about the members of the group. I remember thinking, “If I don’t shut up, my husband is going to think I stalk these folks online.” :)

If a child were to admit these things to one of their peers, they would be considered nerdy or weird. As an adult, I have learned to embrace strange. I love to learn and have always been this way. I knew a few facts about the band I went to see, because I wanted to learn their story. Who are they? What are they like? As for the documentary about English, where do certain words come from? What expressions do we still say that have roots in Medieval times? What phrases were popular in the American colonies in the 18th century? My family calls me nosy. I prefer the term “curious”. Either way, I want to know.

I want to know what makes a singer/song writer who can play multiple instruments change from rock to string band music. I want to know what expressions and phrases my 18th century characters would be saying, because an 18th century person wouldn’t say “cool” or “seriously” all the time as people do today. I want to know why the customer in Target was screaming at the employees. I want to know what would make a woman want to be a bull rider. And, BTW, there is a woman bull rider; I found her on the internet. LOL I want to know what would cause someone to leave everything they have ever known to go to a place far away. Why would someone go completely against everything they were taught as a child? I guess, I just want to know what makes people tick.

The interesting thing about the above paragraph is all of these things I want to know could be made into stories. I don’t know about you, but I would like to read about a person who plays and sings in multiple genres. Tell me why a person would pick up and move thousands of miles away from home and hearth. take the lady bull rider, for instance. Just what kind of man character could I write about that would be perfect for her? As for the screaming customer in Target, did they call the police to come arrest her? If so, why and what happened afterward?

I used to make excuses for my curiousness. Not anymore. Now, I just do my best not to be rude about it. Embracing who we are is important. Knowing our strengths and weaknesses, we can be confident in our abilities and accept our disabilities.

So, anyone want to take a shot at answering some of those things I want to know? Might make for some interesting reading. :)


Thanks for being with me today. Feel free to comment below. Have a fantastic week and be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment