Thursday, October 6, 2016

A Day in the Life

I would like to say that my morning begins at 6 a.m. when the battery powered rooster crows. But, since I think I have that non24-hour sleep disorder, my gettin' up times change from day to day. In any case, I start with a hot cup of caffeine and my open Bible. I read some and pray some and try to listen to what God has to say to me.

Depending on how early I got up, I might play on the internet for a while. Sometimes I gather online materials for school work. Sometimes I hop on Youtube for a song or two. But, more often than I like to admit, I scroll a while on Face Book. :) If I'm not online, then I'm throwing some laundry into the washer.

When my girls are up, we do breakfast. When that is finished, I make sure they brush teeth, make the bed and get the table cleaned off. I wish I had another table or desks for school work. For now, though, the kitchen is our school room.

School starts with Bible and prayer. Then it's usually on to math. Sometimes groans accompany them as they retrieve their math books. They say it is their least favorite subject. It's hard for me to keep my groans from being heard, as math was always one of my least favorite, too. Sometimes, we manage to get language arts in before lunch. Other times, we take a quick munching break, then settle down to parts of speech, reading, writing, or spelling tests. Depending on the day, there's time enough for science, history or both before the afternoon blahs set in. lol

I have been known to nap at the end of a full day, but it doesn't happen often. I have also been known to forget about that load of laundry started that morning until almost bedtime, but we're not going to talk about that.

On some days I cook, and on others the girls prepare a  lot of their own meals using the microwave. On occasion, the man of the house has come home to a hot and ready meal, but this is usually more of a surprise than a regular occurrence. After supper, it's usually relax time then bed.

Every day is different, though. Every subject is different. What one child excels at, the other may struggle with. They are always taking turns setting the pencil aside with claims they just have to go to the bathroom. Then, of course, they need a drink. I'm often heard saying, "Just sit down!" lol

Inevitably, I'll get a text or FB message or a phone call. Depending on who it is and what they want, interruptions can last for a couple of minutes to over an hour. I say that, but there are times when I look forward to talking to someone older than eleven. :) Sometimes, this mama needs to talk to someone about something else besides school and kid related things.

And, then there are the times when I need to go to the grocery store or to a doctor's appointment. On those days, we usually do not get any school work done. Our doctor's office is here in town; close enough to walk and be back shortly. But, a ride to the store involves getting a driver. Drivers are subject to their own wants and needs. Therefore, a trip down the road just might take all day. I long for a day when I can pick up and go without relying on someone else.

What I haven't talked about yet is my writing. Where do I fit it in? Well, here and there. Sometimes, I write during math class, but mostly I need to be aware of what each girl is doing. Sometimes, I write while they are reading. Other times, I either stay up late or get up earlier to have time to put words into my stories.

So, there you have it; a typical day in the life of me. This is how it is Monday through Friday. During the weekends, I try not to think of school. If I do, then I'm usually discouraged by the time Monday morning rolls around. :) On the days we don't get much book work done, I try to work on other things like home chores. There are homeschoolers out there with stricter schedules who would probably have a heart attack when reading about my loose schedule. But, since 2010 when I first began to homeschool, I have learned that everyone is different. Sometimes, I get the best of the day, and other times the day gets the best of me. One day feels almost perfect, while the following day feels like a complete flop. Sometimes, I wonder if I'll ever get some me time, while other days I know for a fact that without these girls, I'd go crazy.


It's difficult being a woman who is blind teaching sighted children, but I'm right where God wants me to be. This life is full of challenges, but it is also full of joy. So, with that said, time to go spread some of that joy on the students who aren't doing what I told them to do a few minutes ago. lol

1 comment:

  1. I love this! But, I must say, we were once those teenage girls giggling in history class and chatting about everything but school work. You are an amazing woman. I am so blessed to call you my friend. Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete